Miss Teen's mega blunder

I am sure a lot of you have heard about this very popular lady. Her telly bit on youtube has attracted over 19 million hits already.

Well, I agree, it was an awesome answer from the lady who had the best of education the world had to offer, I guess, or well, let us give the shell shocked lady some leeway. She goofed up.

So what did Lauren Caitlin Upton say??

Q: Recent polls have shown a fifth of Americans can't locate the U.S. on a world map. Why do you think this is?


During the pageant: "I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, um, some people out there in our nation don't have maps and, uh, I believe that our, uh, education like such as, uh, South Africa and, uh, the Iraq and everywhere like such as, and I believe that they should, uh, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., uh, should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future."


More fun is what others had to say about it

I definitely don’t want this woman doing much more than serving me a hamburger in my future. DO NOT LET THIS WOMAN PERFORM BRAIN SURGERY ON YOU
Loverat said - Wow - she will make a fantastic politician one day!
If children are the future, I think we may be doomed...
This is just too painful to watch...my stomach hurts
You could start maybe by sending her a bouquet of maps
Never have I heard someone talk that much in a sentence and still not say a single thing. Apparently her hair dye has leached into her brain
Should run for president couldn’t be any worse
I am willing to donate maps for those who have none :)
She tried.
So much stupidy in one person... how did she come that far??
Wow, is this for real???? Unbelievable. When was this contest????
I actually understood her more than I've ever understood anything George Bush has ever said.
She’s actually a genius, but they caught her in a bad moment.

Animated response



Later on, on Today show Upton gave the final answer –

On Today: "Personally, my friends and I, we know exactly where the United States is on a map. I don't know anyone else who doesn't. If the statistics are correct, I believe there should be more emphasis on geography in our education so people will learn how to read maps better."
Upton was taking her flubbed answer - and the attention - in stride. She explains "Everything did come at me at once. I was overwhelmed and I made a mistake. Everybody makes a mistake. I'm human," she said Tuesday. "I seriously think I only heard about one or two words of the actual question."


She ended up as third runner up – Miss Teen USA

She did have supporters, who state - A map is a reference object; we make maps precisely so that we don’t have to memorize where things are, so that we can, instead, look up where things are.”

Comments

diyadear said…
ha ha that wa shilarious.. spotting "such as" on the map in the second video especially.. i didnt believe such dumb blondes existed till i saw one(2 actually,her sister too) at a garage sale. we picked up afew items each costing 1-2 dolars each totalling upto 12$.these 2 gals were in charge of the counter while their mom went in n both came up with varied totals no where near 12. hadn't my hubby been satya harischnadran we wud be profited as both had messed up their simple addition by somehow subtracting in between..it was a shock!!
harimohan said…
dear maddy
i did have a hunch that most americans were dumbo but surprising as they have achieved so much in science and other fields probably because of the influx from other countries over time ,we find indian kids often winning spelling bees and generally being bright ,well beuaty and brains is a great combination but seems to be a rare find
harimohan
Maddy said…
thanks diya, hari - I think she had prepared herself for (mugged) standard answers and got overtly bewildered by the situation!!

Popular Posts

Head facing north

Tipu, Unniyarcha and Wodeyar – truth or fiction?

The Monsoons of Kerala

Kuriyedathu Thathriyude SmartaVicharam

The Kohinoor Diamond